Albert Sutton was born in Victoria, British Columbia, raised in Portland, Oregon and graduated from the University of California in Berkeley. His first architectural partnership was with James Pickles in 1888, followed by a brief collaboration with Ambrose J. Russell which lasted only two years when Sutton relocated to San Francisco. When he returned to Tacoma, Sutton formed a partnership with Harrison A. Whitney and Earl N. Dugan in 1912. This partnership would last until 1923 when Sutton would die suddenly from heart failure. Albert Sutton was a 33rd degree Mason, the highest rank within the organization.
Sources: Washington State Department of Archaeology & Historic Preservation (DAHP). “Albert Sutton.”, “PCAD - Albert Sutton.”, “Tribune (Published as THE TACOMA NEWS TRIBUNE) - November 19, 1923 - Page 2,”, “Tribune (Published as THE TACOMA NEWS TRIBUNE) - September 19, 1922 - Page 24,”
Donnelly Hotel Site
TPL Historic Building Files (BU-10989), 1938-04-24
Courtesy Tacoma Public Library Northwest Room