Lost Tacoma Locations: Hawthorne School
George Gove was born in Rochester, MN in 1970 and arrived in Tacoma in 1908. From that point, Gove worked principly with Frederick Henry Heath as consulting architects for the Tacoma Board of Education. This would provide subsequent contracts for the Central School, Lincoln High School, the Stadium High School gymnasium and the first branch of the South Tacoma Library. There are contesting accounts regarding whether George Gove or Earl N. Dugan was the founding member of the Tacoma Society of Architects.
Sources: “PCAD - George Gove.”, “Tribune (Published as THE NEWS TRIBUNE) - August 31, 1956 - Page 13,”, “The Tacoma Daily News - July 23, 1910 - Page 4,”, “The Tacoma Daily Ledger - January 1, 1913”, “The Tacoma Times - February 12, 1913”